This square, which is in the 17th. arrondissement in Paris, dates back to the time of Haussman, the great architect and planner of nineteenth century Paris. Built by Jean-Charles Alphand in 1862, it is surrounded by 370 metres of railings which had never been restored. We have undertaken the restoration on behalf of the Parks and Gardens Authority. The work requires the complete removal and dismantling of the existing structures, raising their level by 20 cm for safety reasons, and replacing forged parts as well as manufacturing new posts with Corinthian capitals, following the original models. The sanded down gates were then coated with a metallic film and a protective coating. Edouard Manet had his studio nearby, where he painted a well-known work: the railway.
Architects: City of Paris